Busy day in the workshop today. Managed to get the pickguard properly routed on the second try.
Monday, January 21, 2019
Sunday, January 20, 2019
Gluing the binding was a challenge. Mahogany seems to be tricky that way. Made a lots of test with different glues. I ended up pre-glue the suface with epoxy and let it dry before I glued the binding itself. The sharp bends was also a first time for me. I used a heat gun to make the plastic bend-able.
Saturday, January 19, 2019
I did this akoustik lap steel a few years back but plywood didn't go well this time. I sounds and plays ok but the design looks clumsy and the finished version with binding and color looks like crap. I will propably make a second, non-plywood attempt in the future.
Friday, January 18, 2019
My uncle gave me a fine piece of mahogany a few years back which provided material for a replacement body for an ugly 3/4 guitar I got cheap in a flea market. Here's some pics from the process. Stained birch vaneer on top and plastic binding. I spent a hole day routing neck pockets on a scrap piece to get it right. When I got the neck in place I found out I had to tilt it slightly with a chim to get the string action low enough. Very hard to get the holes for bridge and tail piece in the right spot too. I might have to correct that later.